Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Day 12- Sunshine and a movie

Lauren
Unleashing Our Inner Dinosaur
Today was overall pretty relaxing and at first, there wasn't really a scheduled plan. The plan was to basically just go with the flow. My day started at 8 AM when I went down to eat breakfast with Zach who was the only one up at that time. (we went to bed pretty late) I then went back up to go back to sleep until Diana told me and Betzi that we should probably get up because we were the only two still sleeping. After going down to see everyone and their smiling faces, the girls decided to head out into the town of Dover on a spontaneous adventure. I think Dover is a really cool place to visit, especially in the town where all the tourist shops are. I'm definitely going to miss Dover after coming home to San Diego, but at the same time, I also miss home. However, despite a little case of home sickness, I am still having the time of my life. We just got back from the movie, Jurassic World and all of us thought it was a pretty cheesy movie. I'm glad we saw it though because it was nice being able to laugh at all the dinosaurs with Faith who was sitting next to me, along with the others. I'm having so much fun. I'm not sure what is going on tomorrow but I do know that this trip has been full of adventures and I am sad to say that it is almost over. I miss you all back home.

Diana
Velociraptor to the Rescue
What a fun and exciting day. I went down for breakfast and had the same of what I usually get which is eggs, hash browns, and peaches. When we were done with eating breakfast the girls walked around Dover exploring what was around us. We found a nail place so Cheryl got her nails done and so did Lauren and Maddy. It was funny because at first when they were putting the acrylics on it looked like cat woman with the nails. The final result was good. When we were done with that Cheryl and I went back to the hotel and then went in the water which was not bad. It is not so bad getting in the water when you don't have to get in right away or it is just for fun. The other girls met up with us and chilled at the beach for a while. We then went back and relaxed and had noodles for dinner which were very delicious. We then went and saw Jurassic World which was not the best, however it was fun to sit and watch the cheesy parts. What I loved about the movie were the Velociraptors. On the way back to the hotel Maddy and I pretended to be Velociraptors. It was so awesome today. I hope everyone back home is doing well and tell nelson I love him.

Maddy
RUN RAPTOR RUN
Today was nice and relaxing! The girls and I wandered around town, trying to decide what to do. Then, Cheryl, Lauren, and I got our nails done. Mine are a SUPER bright orange!! After our nail appointment, we sat on the beach because, finally, the sun was completely out. We had lunch on the cafe patio and were told we could "chill" until dinner. Kaylee and I went to the lobby and worked on my intricate coloring book. We then had the worst Chinese food I've ever had. Its okay though, we would fill up on awesome snacks in the movies a couple hours later. We went to see Jurassic World at 8:30. The plot, bad. The acting, eh. But those RAPTORS, YESSSS!!!!! I want one. I am really starting to miss home, but I'm staying in the present and enjoying the moment. Can't wait to see my bed, Sam, and Mom. Love you guys!

Kaylee
Chilling in Dover
Today we woke up and ate breakfast. We then walked around the town and looked around. Then Betzi and I decided we wanted to swim so we went back to the hotel looking for a third person. Parth volunteered so we got our suits on and went in. It was really sunny today which made the water feel warmer. (Don't worry mom, I have plenty of sunscreen!) I got out pretty early because my breakfast decided it didn't want to be in my stomach anymore lol. After that we all relaxed and Maddy and I did some coloring which was pretty calming. We then met up for some dinner. After dinner, we walked to a cinema and watched Jurassic World. The best part of the entire movie was how they added an intermission at the most intense part. It was pretty funny. Missing everyone back home!! Love you guys!! (:

Faith
Jurassic World
Today was a chill, laid back day. We didn't have anything planned, so all of us walked around town. I got some souvenirs, and then me Cheryl and Diana chilled by the water. They both had bathing suits on, so they swam to this bucket about twenty feet from shore. I stuck my feet in, and honestly, it felt warmer. After finishing lunch, we were all allowed to hang out until dinner. Right before dinner, I found out that we were going to be seeing the movie Jurassic World! I was really excited, because I've been wanting to see that movie ever since it came out. I really liked it, and I especially love the RAPTORS!! These dinosaurs seemed to be the more popular ones throughout the group :). I am loving England, but I can't wait to see my parents, and go home and tell everybody my accomplishment; swimming the English Channel. Oh, and don't forget... RUN!

CJ
The theater and the unwise
Today was a relaxed day. I woke up in a pretty happy mood, and then watched as many tried to make Cheryl a waffle, with a machine that was not good at its job. Then we went into town where we went to a British supermarket and then a souvenir shop. After having a burger in the very nice weather, I went down for a nap. The most exciting part of the day was after dinner where we went to see Jurassic World. The movie theater was placed in a super sketchy location, but actually turned out to be a decent theater. As for the movie, it was decent but did suffer from some plot holes. I loved the day, thank you mom and dad for sending me.

Wesley
Fun and games
Today I slept in, and then woke up, and ate breakfast. Then me, the boys, and Faith went to town. I bought myself some milkybar which I have not had ever since I came back from London. We walked through a neighborhood that had houses that look a lot like my old house that I lived in when I lived in London. That was fun to see. Then we came back to the hotel. We rested for a little bit, and then went and ate lunch. I had a burger and fries. Tonight we went to see Jurassic World. It was so cool. It had a lot of action. Noah was scared. I forgot to say this but yesterday I had the black current juice that I used to drink when I lived in London. It was good. After lunch I played guess who, speed, and Monopoly with Zach. I have more fun to enjoy.

Parth
I had fun today
Today I went for a swim in the morning shortly after I woke up and ate breakfast.  It was refreshing to swim of my own volition, rather than because I was forced to.  I had lunch, which was good, and I loved it.  Later, long after I had lunch, we went to the movie theater, which was cool.  We saw Jurassic World, and it was amazing that we were able to go.  I really appreciate being able to go to the movie, and I had a great day.  I have loved this trip, and I really appreciate being able to help Wesley with his social skills, and increasing my own social skills in the process the past few days.  Thank you family, I love you, and thank you everyone who has helped me to get where I am today.

Noah
Jurassic World
Today we travel through the town in Dover. We went through supermarkets and souvenir shops in the town. It was really fun. We went back the hotel and watched TV and ate lunch at the cafĂ©. I also took a shower after we ate lunch. We wrote what we’re going to eat for dinner. After we ate dinner we watched the movie Jurassic World. The movie is terrifying because the Indomus Rex escaped from the paddock. And the Jurassic Park visitor center is back from the first movie and I was surprised that the building is back. Thank you for sending me the comments and I want to specifically thank my parents.

Zach
Dinosaurs
Today we did a lot of relaxing in Dover. We hung out and I also did a lot of solitaire and other card games with other students. This includes boardgames. I also went to the English Costco called Morissons it was real neat. The real big hit for today was that we saw Jurassic World. There were a lot of pineapples in this movie due to a lot of suspense. It scared the living crap out of me but it was fun. It was an amazing movie. I want to thank Cheryl and Lisa for an amazing job that they are doing on this trip and also planning the movie.

Paul
Waterfront Property
Today was another resting day, so I decided to go into town with the others to go get a souvenir or two. I got a drink coaster decorated with London-related inscriptions. We watched Jurassic World at night, which wasn’t as bad as I expected. I thought they put too many people in it, which I feel makes it stand out from the three past movies. They also explained everything way more than the past ones, although all explanations weren’t too lengthy or bad. The best part was when the movie theater called intermission right as a dinosaur chase scene started, and so everyone in the theater got a laugh out of it. I look forward to meeting an old friend tomorrow, which will happen if we visit London again. Matt got very good footage of Zombie B’s relay, and his finished video was great. I hope to do well on Zombie A’s video later this week, and also the final video covering our entire experience in Zombie.

Matt
Summer in Dover

Today I woke up and I had a super healthy breakfast which consisted of some delicious fruit and some cereal. The milk in Dover is so good. I think it is because it is much fresher than the milk is in California. After that I could not believe what I was feeling and seeing when I walked outside of the hotel. It was hot and the sun was out. Summer in Dover! It was so beautiful today and it reminded me how lucky I was to be living in California because I get to experience that pretty much every day, here they barely get to experience that. After a nice day in the town we watched Jurassic World, what an amazing piece of cinema. Thanks for sending me, good night. 

Betzi
Raptors
If you ever get the chance to walk around the town of Dover, I advise you to be overly cautious around anything even resembling a road (and because the narrow sidewalks are not raised, this includes pretty much every outdoor area not covered by grass). Even the pigeons sprint when they cross the street, and I have come to wince every time a car passes, because Doverians drive like they're trying to escape a pack of undead velociraptors in a world where hitting pedestrians gives you bonus points. We have all been working on our reflexes as a result. Parth, Kaylee,
Dan, and I went swimming again in the afternoon, and it was strange to be out in the ocean without anything driving us, without anything in particular to train for or any specific purpose. It was more of a meditation than a workout. I focused on the sensation and the rhythm of what I was doing, pulling at handfuls of icy salt water and allowing myself to glide, and I felt grateful to remember that open water swimming does not stop here for me. Because the English Channel was successful, the future is
open for me to pursue other crossings, and for Arch to continue passing on the competition in other events. I am so glad that my brother got to experience this. It is something that we will both always be able to carry with us, something glowing to hold onto when things seem dark. The sketchbook I brought along is nearly full. I brought it with when the group decided to visit a small theatre in town, a quiet and kind of dingy place tucked away in an alley. Although I can't say I blame the screen crew,
considering how little there is in the way of entertainment in Dover, someone evidently decided that it would be a hilarious idea to pause the movie for intermission right as the giant dinosaur-mutant was about to kill the protagonist on the edge of a waterfall. Noah's look of terror was frozen throughout the entire ten minutes. As we left the theatre an hour later, everyone was stalking around the streets and squawking like velociraptors with hip dysplasia. Thank you Mom and Dad for supporting my
trip here, and for the gofundme help- it has been a blast.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't like Jurassic World. Over the past few weeks I've complained to people about how the highest grossing film in America is drowning in its thin dialog, obvious product placement, bad special effects, and sexism, and all I get is that look that people give you when you advise them to wear tin foil hats so the government drones don't scan your mind when they pass by. I have to say I liked the raptors though. They are so intelligent, fast, loyal, determined, and awesome, and they kind of remind me of you guys. I'm going to go cry about how much I miss you all now, but before I do that, I wish that you guys continue to have such a great adventure. Once again, congratulations for swimming the English Channel!
    P.S. Parth- Your performance of "Skyfall" was excellent, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missy you too, MADDY!!!!! Come home already. I'm sure there's some marathon TV watching we need to do...and to pack for Chicago! I bought our Cubs tickets. Guess I better google the rules of baseball so I know what's going on. I don't think the Cubs fans will tolerate some SoCal chic saying "heeeeyyyy batta-batta, sa-WING batta!" for the WHOLE game :)

    We'll have to go out and get some Mexican food when you get back. I'm sure there's no good Mexican in Dover. Yikes. Dover Mexican, can't picture that. It'd probably be like super bright orange nails or something...HAHAHAHA!!!!

    hurry home
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salmon burgers, broiled albacore and salad for you, Wesley Metcalfe, when you get home! Fresh sheets already on the bed. Mully misses you so much he's stopped eating (okay, not really - but he is definitely moping and missing love and affection from his master) See you Friday. Surf is looking pretty good! Love, Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wesley- It sounds like you are doing a great job at staying well fed! I'm glad that you feel so at home in England. It's wonderful to belong!

    Keep working on those conversational skills. I'm so so so proud of you.

    xoxo

    --lesley

    ReplyDelete